So I came up with this natural and FUN kids craft based on those Sand Bottle Art creations your kids love to make. This one involves natural ingredients that are safe for our environment and are in your home, right now! When done admiring your creation, you can fertilize your plants, trees or the earth with it.
Supplies you will need:
- 1 small glass container – I used a baby food jar, but think old small vase, etc.
- White sugar
- Brown sugar
- Used coffee grounds, dried (I used Seattle’s Best Coffee)
- Using the funnel, add layers of the different coffee and sugars, creating a “Sand Bottle Art” effect. Try slanting the funnel or bottle! You may want to spoon in the brown sugar if it’s too sticky. Pat down.
- Close jar and admire work.
- When done, sprinkle contents in your plant’s soil for extra fertilizer. Recycle glass container (or keep for next craft idea)
***You can easily incorporate a teachable moment with your kids on how your reduced the amount of trash (by using the coffee grounds), reused the coffee grounds and glass, and recycled by fertilizing your plants and recycling your container.
Need another Earth Day idea? Check out this easy “Earth” Popsicle Recipe!
Earth Day is April 22nd! How is your family celebrating?
Easy Hanging Peeps Easter Decor DIY
How To Host DIY a Finding Nemo Party #DisneySide
When Disney asked me to throw a #DisneySide @ Home Celebrations party, of course I had to go all out! I knew exactly what kinds of party I wanted to have, based off one of my absolute Disney faves, Finding Nemo. But being on a budget meant I had to get creative at home. So I’ve gathered my BEST DIY Finding Nemo Party Tips so you can throw a FUN Disney Party on a budget too! The biggest money saver for a great party is actually looking for items around your home. I was pretty excited that I had TONS of great Finding Nemo themed items I could already incorporate into my party, making decorating a breeze!
- Finding Nemo Stuffed Animals
- Finding Nemo Pictures I had from decorating the baby room
- Beautiful Beach/Ocean Plates to display and use
- Finding Nemo Printables HERE to cut out and use
Already I have spent $0 for this party 🙂
I made my cheap No Sew Finding Nemo Party Banner for only $2.
The star of the party needed to be Nemo! I made these EASY Find Nemo Cupcakes to highlight our favorite fish. They were such a hit!
Keep to a food theme! Everything had to be ocean/Finding Nemo themed, like this EASY Seafoam Punch Recipe!
We had fun making this Finding Nemo “Jellyfish Forest” Jell-O Dessert Recipe!
How about some Peach Starfish Cookies? Just a bag of sugar cookie mix, topped with Pink Crystal Sugar and faces out of black icing! 🙂
Goldfish served in a fish bowl definitely makes things exciting! I grabbed the rainbow fish for a variety!
I cut some starfruit and placed on a plate. I cut up strawberries and made my own “sea anemone.” Final touches are everything! I grabbed these FREE Finding Nemo Printables and individually cut out the characters. I taped to toothpicks and inserted randomly into the food I served. I labeled all food with fun names like “Jellyfish Forest Jello” so the kids could get really excited about what they were eating. Colorful straws, green streamers cut into seaweed, and even “seaweed celery” in a beautiful ocean wine glass made a FUN statement!
What’s a party without entertainment? Blankets and Pillows on the floor while the kids watched their favorite Finding Nemo movie were a MUST!
Disney went all out, proving great goodies for the guests to take home, including these FUN Hanes T-Shirts the kids got to create! It was a great way to keep those kids entertained during the movie!
Throwing an DIY Finding Nemo Party can be FUN! Using items around the home, getting creative with your food, and easy entertainment makes a Disney party fun any time of the year! Think about using some of these great idea for your next Finding Nemo, Little Mermaid, or Under the Sea Party too! All in all, I think I spent less than $40 on everything, between things I had in my pantry and decor at home 🙂 We had a great time, both little and big kids! 🙂
How do you show your #DisneySide?
Disclosure ~ I received a FREE Disney @ Home Celebrations Kit to throw my own Disney Party. All ideas and inspiration are my own but are shared with you to inspire your next party! Be sure to follow Raising Whasians via Facebook, Twitter, Google, Instagram, Pinterest and YouTube for more fun DIY projects!
- (1) Large Fabric Mesh Laundry Bag with drawstring closure (at least 22.5 inches across and 12 inches long) – I used blue for contrast. White I think would also look great!
- (1) Roll of String, Rope, Fishing Wire – at least 65-70 inches in length
- (1) Roll of Green Crepe/Streamer Paper
- (1) Set of Finding Nemo Mobile Printables HERE
- (1) Set of Glue Dots
- (10) Safety Pins
- Ruler or Measuring Tape
- OPTIONAL: Lightweight Bath Toys (such as fish, sharks, etc.)
TOTAL Cost for me was only $2 for the crepe paper….SUPER exciting!
Believe it or not, this banner was all inspired by…my old laundry bag. It sat around and collected dust. As soon as I saw it, I immediately saw ocean blue and fish net. So glad those creative juices weren’t completely dead! So here’s how to make this FUN banner
1. Remove laundry bag drawstring. Place aside (or possibly save for stringing up your banner)
2. Cut Laundry Bag down seam and open up into a flat rectangle. Measure and cut (from the top of the drawstring area) 5 equal sized pieces. I measured 9 inches across (from drawstring seam) to 12 inches down.
3. Cut your Nemo Mobile Printable Chracters into single circles and shapes. Using Glue Dots, arrange onto banner pieces (with the drawstring area as the TOP of your banner). If you have fun lightweight bath toys, now’s a great time to use those too! Really make your banner your own 🙂
4. Cut long pieces of crepe paper and scrunch together to create textured seaweed. Using Glue Dots, twist, weave and place your seaweed throughout your banner pieces around your already placed Nemo characters.
5. Thread your string through the top of the drawstring seams. Secure with Safety Pins from the back of the banner.
DONE! You are ready to party with Finding Nemo! And with Finding Dory coming out soon, this is a great banner to hold onto for the next party! Also makes a great Under the Sea or Ocean Party Banner too!
What do you think? Be on the lookout for more great Finding Nemo Party ideas as my Finding Nemo #DisneySide At Home Celebration unravels!
Need more Finding Nemo inspiration? Check out my How To Host a DIY Finding Nemo Party Post!
Thanks to Spoonful for the Nemo Printables!