Earth Day Kids Craft | Plant Fertilizer “Sand Art”
So I came up with this natural and FUN kids craft based on those Sand Bottle Art creations your kids love to make. This one involves natural ingredients that are safe for our environment and are in your home, right now! When done admiring your creation, you can fertilize your plants, trees or the earth with it.
Supplies you will need:
- 1 small glass container – I used a baby food jar, but think old small vase, etc.
- White sugar
- Brown sugar
- Used coffee grounds, dried (I used Seattle’s Best Coffee)
- Using the funnel, add layers of the different coffee and sugars, creating a “Sand Bottle Art” effect. Try slanting the funnel or bottle! You may want to spoon in the brown sugar if it’s too sticky. Pat down.
- Close jar and admire work.
- When done, sprinkle contents in your plant’s soil for extra fertilizer. Recycle glass container (or keep for next craft idea)
***You can easily incorporate a teachable moment with your kids on how your reduced the amount of trash (by using the coffee grounds), reused the coffee grounds and glass, and recycled by fertilizing your plants and recycling your container.
Need another Earth Day idea? Check out this easy “Earth” Popsicle Recipe!
Earth Day is April 22nd! How is your family celebrating?
Be sure to follow Raising Whasians for more fun kid crafting inspiration, family recipes and more!