Who wore the red hat? I did! I’m on set with The Red Hat from Marvel’s Agent Carter Season 2 with exclusive behind the scenes look of the hit TV show as a part of #ABCTVEvent press coverage for Disney. All opinions are my own
All photos courtesy of Marvel
On Set with The Red Hat from Marvel’s Agent Carter
I had never been on the set of Marvel before.
In fact, I had only been on a TV set once in my life. So to walk around and take in the actual set of Marvel’s Agent Carter, I probably had gaping and drooling mouth issue that day. It was incredible. The set of the SSR, complete with desks, California skylines (or in this case palm trees) and real props, I was in Marvel heaven. Come join me today as I take a stroll on the set of Marvel’s Agent Carter and go behind the scenes at the costume department.
And who wears Peggy Carter’s iconic red hat? I do!
On Set of Agent Carter Season 2
Touring the set of the SSR was amazing. It was like walking in the vintage shoes of Peggy Carter herself.
You could tell quite a bit of the set from Season 1 got a facelift for Season 2. Brighter colors, a California skyline and a shifting of desks had occurred.
Walking down the hallways and taking in the attention to detail was amazing. I found myself laughing at some of the silly doodles on the desk papers!
It was so fun to walk around the set of Agent Carter Season 2! Maybe a little too much fun?
But the most exciting part of our behind the scenes tour had to be the costume department. It was like stepping back in time. Here, people were busy with sewing machines, needles and thread as they were surrounded by rows and rows of famous costumes used in Agent Carter. Greeted by Gigi Melton, head costume designer, we got an insider look at the inspiration behind the clothing and of course, that famous red hat.
9 Agent Carter Costume Fun Facts:
- The Agent Carter costume team consists of 10-25 people working on costumes at any one time. Long 12-14 days (including work to take home in the evenings) and the cross boarding 2 episodes at one time bring on new challenges for the team for season 2.
- While the costume department would love to use more vintage, unfortunately after 70+ years, the materials do not hold up. But that doesn’t stop the department from constantly combing through vintage stores and thrift stores for finds and inspiration. In fact, Ana Jarvis is in a scene this season wearing 100% vintage. Within minutes the shoes were broken and the blouse ripped.
- Vintage shoes cause even a bigger issue, since most women’s feet of those times were smaller. Repurposing vintage shoes to fit the actors and the stunt doubles is always a challenge.
- Each character has their own color palette and outfit inspiration board. Madame Mask is in lavenders. Dottie wears black and reds. Peggy stays within jewel tones. Sousa this season is in Hawaiian shirts. Ana Jarvis wears bright Bohemians.
- For Season 1, the costume department had 8 days to build an entire wardrobe. WOW!
- Almost every outfit for Agent Carter has a double. From stunt scenes to just sitting in cars, there has to be an extra outfit in case of rips, spills and accidents.
- Staying true to the 1940s era, 85% of the materials used for costuming was made in the USA. It was important to stay as authentic to the times as possible, since most clothing was made in the states during that time.
- The costume department is prepared with extra sleeves, panels for blood splatter, and other spare costume materials to keep from rebuilding an entire outfit.
- Damaged clothes are never thrown away. Buttons and fabrics are saved and reworked into new designs. Anything super “bloody” etc. will get destroyed as to not damage other costumes.
Behind The Iconic Peggy Carter Red Hat
When Gigi Melton first read the script of Agent Carter, it said that Peggy was walking “in a sea of gray hats” while she donned on a red hat. But reading more into Peggy Carter’s character, Gigi knew that Peggy was to be of equal power to her 1940s male counterparts. So what was the power hat of the era? A Fedora.
So Gigi reached out to Stetson, the hat of the 1940s. Stetson happened to be celebrating their 150th anniversary, and happily sent “blank” red hats for Gigi to play with. So she did. She added ribbon, hand molded the shape and finally sent the prototype to Stetson to reproduce. Unfortunately, it was too late to get the reproductions in time. So the hat you see on screen for the first time? Yup, that’s the prototype.
And as if touring a live TV set and costume department weren’t enough, we also got an exclusive photo shoot with one of THE Red Hats used on Agent Carter! What do you think? Is it me? To say that this was an amazing once in a lifetime opportunity would be an understatement. Going behind the scenes, stepping in the same spot as the actors and learning more about the Marvel universe made this on set visit incredible! Did you miss my exclusive Agent Carter interviews? Be sure to check out our conversation with stars Hayley Atwell, James D’Arcy and the producers!
Agent Carter wasn’t all of the fun for my latest Disney press trip! Check out the exclusive #ABCTVEvent and #StarWarsEvent interviews and coverage too!
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Movie Review | Safe for Kids? (no spoilers)
- Exclusive Harrison Ford Interview
- Exclusive J.J. Abrams Interview
- Exclusive Daisy Ridley Interview
- Exclusive Luptia Nyong’o and Oscar Issac Interview
- Exclusive Kathleen Kennedy Interview
- Photo Tour of the Star Wars Global Press Event
- Galavant Interview
- The Bachelor Host Chris Harrison Interview
Be sure to follow Agent Carter for the latest new episodes, character updates, and more!
Don’t miss Marvel’s Agent Carter Season 2 TONIGHT (January 1/26/16) at 9 PM ET on ABC! In tonight’s episode, “Better Angels,” Peggy uncovers secrets and lies about the murder case. Tweet along with the show using the #AgentCarter hashtag. Will you be watching?
I was invited to attend an all-inclusive Disney press trip in exchange for this posting. All opinions are my own. Be sure to follow Raising Whasians for entertainment news, Disney movie updates and more!