Low carb never tasted so good! Find out how these Easy Taco Stuffed Tomatoes are donating FREE meals to local food banks this fall and how you can make a difference. This post is sponsored by Produce for Kids. All delicious opinions are my own.
Easy Taco Stuffed Tomatoes
Is Taco Tuesday a weekly staple in your house? Legit, our family LOVES tacos. We’re the “it’s Taco Tuesday, but on a Wednesday” fanatics. I mean, who doesn’t love tacos and their delightful taco shells?
But as much as I love those taco shell carbs, let’s be real. They don’t always love me back. Eating healthier always feels like a sacrifice when it comes to the pasta, rice and bread department – it’s really hard for me to give up. But stuff my meal inside of a roasted tomato? SOLD. Today I’m trading my taco shells for tomatoes with these Easy Taco Stuffed Tomatoes. It’s lean. It’s flavorful. It’s so good, you won’t miss the carbs. And with the holidays right around the corner (I see you, Christmas cookies), this easy family meal idea is a perfect way to feed your family and GIVE BACK this fall.
Donate Meals to Feeding America, Just for Buying Produce
Ending childhood hunger has always been a passion of mine. With so many kids in the U.S. struggling everyday, every little bit of giving helps. Giving back this fall has never been easier with Produce for Kids and one of my favorite campaigns. Now through October 23, 2019, stock up on fresh produce at your local Publix and instantly donate meals to your local Feeding America food banks. It’s that easy! Be sure to look for the Produce for Kids signage throughout your store, and grab fresh fruits and veggies from:
- CMI Orchards Hero Snack Size Gala Apples
- Crunch Pak® Sliced Apples
- Del Monte® Fruit Naturals® Cups
- Del Monte® Fresh Pineapple & Avocados
- Fresh Express® Packaged Salads
- Lakeside Produce Beefsteak Tomatoes & Hot House Cucumbers
- Marie’s® Dressings
- SUNSET® Tomatoes on the Vine, Campari® Tomatoes & Mini Cucumbers
- Mission Avocados
- Red ’n TastyTM Premium Vine-Ripened Tomatoes & Grape Tomatoes
That’s it! These fresh produce companies will instantly donate free meals to your local Feeding America food banks now through October 23rd. We already buy produce from most of these companies, making our weekly grocery shop such a blessing for so many local families. Buy fresh produce at Publix and KNOW that you are making a difference!
Easy Taco Stuffed Tomatoes | Low Carb Meal Idea
I’ve been a tomato kick lately. Ever since the tomatoes have been BOGO at Publix, they’ve been my jam. So stuffing them with taco goodness, it seemed like the next logical step. But being able to feed my family while feeding other local families in need – that’s what makes this is a winning meal. Trade out those taco shells for something tastier this fall.
Easy Taco Stuffed Tomatoes
- 1/2 lb ground turkey (or protein filling)
- 1/8 cup taco seasoning
- 1 ear fresh corn, kernels removed from ear
- 1/2 can seasoned black beans
- 4 large tomatoes (like Lakeside Beefsteak)
- OPTIONAL: shredded cheese, fresh cilantro, fresh avocado
- Brown meat in saucepan over medium heat. Drain fat.
- Add taco seasoning and 1/3 cup water. Bring to boil. Turn heat to low and simmer for 2-3 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine meat with black beans and corn.
- Remove tops and core of tomatoes. Stuff tomatoes with taco filling and place in baking dish.
- Roast for 5-10 minutes, until tomatoes are cooked and skin begins to blister.
- Top with shredded cheese if desired. Bake for another 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted. Remove from heat.
- Top with fresh cilantro and avocado. Serve warm.
It’s Taco Tuesday, but better! Step up those busy family meal nights and get stuffed – with tomatoes that is! These Easy Taco Stuffed Tomatoes are doing so much more than feeding our bellies. They’re feeding our souls too – by helping local families in need this fall. Get more details on how your family can make a difference at produceforkids.com/publix. Plus grab a ton of family recipes too!
What low carb meals are your families loving this fall?
Be sure to follow Raising Whasians for more easy family recipes, kid crafts, travel tips and FUN!