Have a splashing good time this summer with this DIY Kid Car Wash made from PVC pipes! Post sponsored by Step2 as a Step2 Ambassador. All fun and playtime opinions are my own. May contain affiliate links
DIY Kid Car Wash | Step2 Easy Turn Coupe Review
I am bursting at the seams to share my ultimate summer project with you today! I am probably one of the LEAST handy people I know. But then I received the Step2 Easy Turn Coupe to review. The ambitious creative side of my brain immediately screamed “DIY Kid Car Wash.” I know, crazy! But if this mom could create this Easy Toddler Car Wash out of PVC pipe (without a man!), then absolutely you can too. Bring on summer fun and a lifetime of giggle memories! Let’s make the ULTIMATE car wash for your kids!
I’ve seen a few DIY Kid Car Wash tutorials online, but I must say they looked complicated. Surely we didn’t need as many pieces or steps to build one, right? So with less than $40 and a simpler design, this DIY Toddler Car Wash was created. Moms, we can build it!
What You Will Need:
- (11) 5 foot long pieces of 3/4 inch diameter PVC Pipe
- (6) 3/4 inch PVC Tee Sockets
- (6) 3/4 inch PVC Elbow Joints
- (3) 3/4 inch PVC Caps
- PVC Cutters – trust me, life saving device
- Drill + 1/4 inch drill bit
- Fishing Wire
- (1) 58×108 inch plastic tablecloth (I used 2 tablecloths for 2 different colors, but only 1 needed)
- 15 rectangle sponges – cut and arrange into sponge balls (Tutorial HERE)
- 2 Large Foam Pool Noodles
- Measuring Tape
1. Put aside (6) of the 5 foot PVC piping. Using the remaining PVC pipes and the PVC cutters, measure and cut (7) 30 inch length pieces.
2. Take one of the 30 inch length pipes and draw a level line down the length of the pipe. Measure and mark an “x” for every 3 inches down the line of the pipe. Take out your drill and drill bit. Yes mom, we are going to drill! Drill a 1/4 inch hole for every “x,” about 9-10 holes.
3. Cut your plastic table cloth into long 3-4 inch thick strips, about 108 inches in length. Take one of the 30 inch pipes and wrap the plastic tablecloth strips around the pipe as shown (just like the DIY tutu).
4. Take one of the 30 inch pieces and attach your 5 sponge balls using the fishing wire. I hung in different lengths to give more depth.
5. Take (2) of the 5 foot PVC pipes and insert into the middle of your 2 long foam pool noodles.
6. Now it’s time to assemble your pieces. Let’s start with your 3 arches.
- Arch #1 is your water sprinkler. Use your drilled hole pipe and cap with 2 elbow joints on the ends. Attach (2) 5 foot pieces.
- Arch #2 is your hanging car wash sham strips. Use your plastic tablecloth pipe and cap with 2 elbow joints on the ends. Attach (2) 5 foot pieces.
- Arch #3 is your sponges. Use your sponges pipe and cap with 2 elbow joints on the ends. Attach your (2) pool noodles pieces.
7. Now for the 2 bases. Assemble as shown.
8. Attach your arches to the base, ensure arch #1 (water sprinkler) is attached to the open end tee socket. Now be sure that every joint is tightly together. I only used manual force to ensure the pieces were tight. No rubber mallet or PVC glue required.
9. Attach your garden hose to the open end of the 3/4 inch Tee Socket. Secure as best you can. Turn on the water (not full blast, but just enough pressure to get the water to come out of the top of all 10 holes of your car wash).
10. HAVE FUN! With a simple design and less pieces, we were up and running in a couple of hours. The best part? When the fun is done, you can EASILY break down the pieces and store for another fun water play day!
Step2 Easy Turn Coupe
Now for the fun part. It’s driving time! Have your child hop into their wheels for a quick car wash and cool off! We are LOVING the Step2 Easy Turn Coupe for our toddler car driving these days. Can we say stylish and FUN? Check out these amazing features!
- 4 easy to maneuver wheels and 1 easy turn front swivel castor wheel
- Shaded rooftop and easy steering with adult handle built-in
- Removable floorboard – grows with your child from push buggy to kid-powered!
- Open and close front car hood
- Steering wheel with horn and clicking key
- 3 cup holders – 1 in the front for your child, 2 in the back
- Open and close car door with easy slide door lock – LOVE this feature!
- Open and close gas cap
- Quality Step2 plastic in bright kid-friendly colors!
Seriously, I’m kind of jealous of this car. I mean, my girl has better car features than I do. Look at the girly awesomeness!
And she just ADORES driving around the neighborhood in it. Beep, beep!
Dirty car this summer? No problem! The Step2 Easy Turn Coupe easily gets a wash down through our DIY Toddler Car Wash! Your child’s car will be sparkly clean in no time! Just drive through!
Check out our new DIY Kids Car Wash up close and in action with our fun video! Love the Step2 Easy Turn Coupe as much as we do? You can pick one up at Step2.com in the adorable pink color or a rad green color for the MSRP of $69.99. I’m so glad this amazing vehicle inspired a little summer crafting inspiration! Be sure to follow Step2 via Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, Google+ and YouTube for new products (fall 2015 line coming out soon!), contests, product testing opportunities and MORE!
With smiles like these, how can you resist a little summer water play? Water, giggles and fun all come together this summer with a toddler car and a little imagination. We are LOVING our new DIY Kid Car Wash!
Looking for more FUN kids summer activities? Check out these favorites!
- Minions Ice Experiment Activity
- Finding Dory Summer Party
- Milk Carton Sailboats
- Footprint Flip Flops
How would your kids enjoy this DIY Kid Car Wash?
I am proud to be a Step2 Ambassador for 2015! I receive free products and compensation in exchange for this post. But as always, I only share what I love! All opinions are my own. Be sure to follow Raising Whasians via Facebook, Twitter, Google, Instagram, Pinterest and YouTube for fun kids craft ideas, free printables, and more.