Pumpkin Origami Craft + Treat Idea #Frosty4Adoption
What do Halloween and Adoption have in common? Frostys! Especially around this time of year, I definitely get warm and nostalgic feelings towards my own personal adoption story. Only a mere decision between life and death, I know much that one choice can mean a lifetime of difference. It does for me everyday. Did you know that there are more than 100,000 children in foster care awaiting adoption? So whenever possible, I make sure to support all amazing adoption causes. One of my favorites happens to be right here this Halloween.
Right now at your local Wendy’s®, you can purchase a Jr. Frosty™ Halloween Coupon Book for $1, while supplies last. And with every purchase, know that your money is making a difference. Ninety cents of every $1 Halloween Coupon Book sold between September 13 – October 31, 2014 will benefit the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption®. Coupons are valid for use: November 1, 2014 through February 1, 2015, so your little ones can enjoy a treat all fall and winter! The Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption® believes that we have a responsibility to be the voice of foster care adoption, so that every child finds a family. As founder Dave Thomas said, “These children are not someone else’s responsibility. They are our responsibility.” The DTFA exist to find homes for children who are waiting to be adopted from foster care in North America. Since the creation of the Dave Thomas Foundation, more than 4,000 foster care children have found their forever homes. AMAZING!
To celebrate the season, we made some really cute Halloween Pumpkin Origami Treats for our son’s classmates. I think they will get a huge kick out of our little friends, and they can be easily folded and tucked into a backpack for enjoyment later. Best part, no worries about sticky candy at school! Here’s how:
Pumpkin Origami Craft
What You Will Need:
- 1 Piece of Perfectly Square Orange Paper or Origami Paper
- 1 Green Pipe Cleaner
- Black Marker
- 1 Jr. Frosty™ Halloween Coupon
- Piece of String
- 1-Hole Puncher
1. Reminder, Origami is about precision, so be sure to make your folds as close to perfect as possible! Take your piece of paper and fold in half, non-orange side up (or if both sides are orange, pick a side to be the main side). Crease well and reopen.
2. Turn your paper 90 degrees, fold your paper in half again, non-orange side up. Crease well and reopen. You should now have a cross fold.
3. Now we’re going to fold the paper towards the orange side. Fold in half on the diagonal and reopen. Repeat for the other side. You should now have a diagonal cross.
4. Pinch the middle fold and crease down into a traditional Origami Waterbomb base.
5. Fold triangle halves upwards as shown. Flip over. Repeat for the other side. You should now have a diamond shape.
6. Fold the diamond points inward as shown for all 4 points.
7. This is probably the most complicated part of the craft. Fold the extra little flap down. Then “tuck” inside the pocket. Repeat for remaining 3 sides.
8. Now fold your “pumpkin” so the plain side is sticking out and the hole at the top of the pumpkin is pointing up. Draw your Halloween Face onto your Pumpkin.
9. Grab the corners of your pumpkin and blow air into the hole to inflate the Pumpkin.
10. Grab your pipe cleaner and shape into a stem. Place in the top hole of the pumpkin origami.
11. Punch a small hole in the upper corner of the Jr. Frosty™ Halloween Coupon. Thread the string through. Tie the string around the stem of the pumpkin.
VOILA! You have a perfect little Halloween Pumpkin Ready for treating! Consider for your Trick-or-Treaters, loves ones of school friends to give to make their holiday a little bright. And know that you are making a difference in adoption as well!
Be sure to visit your local Wendy’s® to purchase a Jr. Frosty™ Halloween Coupon Book* for $1, which benefits the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption®! *Coupon book may contain coupons for 5 or 10 free Jr. Frosty™ treats. Prices and participation may vary. Ninety cents to every $1 coupon booklet sold between 9/15/14 and 10/31/14 will benefit the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption®. Coupons valid from 11/1/14 through 2/1/15. ©2014 Oldemark LLC”
My adoption made a difference. I’d like to think that purchasing these Wendy’s® Jr. Frosty™ Halloween Coupon Books every year is my little way to say “Thanks” to my parents for making the right decision. This year, Wendy’s® aims to give $10 million to The Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption®. We can help them reach their goal.
How can you make a difference for adoption this fall?
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own. Be sure to follow Raising Whasians via Facebook, Twitter, Google, Instagram, Pinterest and YouTube for more reviews, giveaways and more.