Hope you and your kids enjoy this FUN Mayflower Craft with upcycled K-Cups! May contain commissioned links.
Mayflower Craft for Kids Using K-Cups
As much as I love seeing all of the Christmas cheer around the blog-o-sphere, I just can’t seem to get myself in the spirit yet. I mean fall, Thanksgiving, pumpkins…there’s so much crafty inspiration this season!
So in rebel protest fashion, I’m instead bringing you this adorable Mayflower Craft for Kids using K-Cups. If you’ve been searching for a way to reuse and upcycle those coffee cups, here’s a Thanksgiving craft for you and your littles!
So this craft came to be as I was cleaning out my K-cup cabinet. Yes, I have a cabinet dedicated to my coffee addiction. I found quite a few expired cups sitting in my cabinet. After shaming myself for letting such a thing occur to once perfectly delicious cups of yumminess (like 2012-2013 expiration dates, folks), I decided to bring my expired cups into my crafting world. Thanksgiving, K-Cups, Mayflower….you get where this is going, right?
What You Will Need
- K-Cups – used and/or unused (great way to upcycle!) – foil removed, completely empty, clean and dry
- Play Dough
- Brown Paint
- White Construction Paper (don’t use computer paper for this, get the heavier paper!)
- Paint the outside of your K-Cup “boat” with the brown paint. Allow to dry.
- Fill your Mayflower with Play Dough, to about the brim of the cup.
- Cut out your construction paper into rectangles, about 2.5 inches by 3 inches (no need to be exact), 3 rectangles per boat.
- Poke your sails through the toothpicks, like so.
- Place your toothpick sails into your K-cup boats for a festive craft for Thanksgiving! Great segway into discussion about Thanksgiving history with your kids too!
- OPTIONAL: Have a few Keurig Vue cups? You can make this adorable variation on this craft. I love how the front notch is perfect for that first sail!
VOILA! Adorable little Mayflower boats ready for sailing!
We even had a little experiment time after our craft was made. We tried to make our boats float in a bowl of water….
but they immediately sank, much to my toddler’s delight! Need some more Thanksgiving craft inspiration (and be a rebel like me?) Check out a few faves!