Celebrate Earth Day Every Day with these 21 Easy Ways to Go Greener as a Family. This post is sponsored by Febreze. All fresh and clean opinions are my own.
Celebrate Earth Day Every Day | 21 Ways to Go Greener as a Family
Running into Earth week like…
While our family loves celebrating Earth Day, I would be amiss to not talk about the bigger picture. Going green for one day is great, but making it a part of our daily lives – that is much harder. And I admit as a busy mom, I often choose convenience over the road less traveled. But we only get one Earth – one shot to live our lives well. The bigger picture is to make greener choices for our family not just one day out of the year, but every single day. It’s the small choices that can lead to big changes. So if you’re looking to celebrate Earth Day just a little bit longer, here are 21 ways to go greener as a family. Let’s celebrate Earth Day every day.
Educate Our Kids
It’s all about perspective. So many of our kids, as innocent as they are, don’t realize that we only get one Earth. We only have one place to call home. And it’s our job to protect it and the resources we have been given. Sit down with your kids and talk about the importance of reducing, reusing and recycling with these examples for getting kids involved:
- turning off lights
- turning off the water when brushing teeth
- decrease shower time – even 1 minute can help!
- encourage walking/biking over gasoline use
- use a whole sheet of paper, not just one side
- cloth napkins over paper ones
- reusable straws, cups, and plates over throw away
- reusable lunch containers over plastic bags
- reusable grocery bags over paper/plastic ones
- gift bags over wrapping paper
- recognize which items are recyclable (like corrugated cardboard and tin cans) as well as identifying recyclable numbers on plastic items.
- recycle often and make it visible – like having an accessible bin right next to your garbage bin.
- find recycle bins outside of the home and use them.
- teach them to bring recyclable items home when there isn’t a bin around so they can recycle.
- compost food scraps
- recycle old toys, clothes and items by donating to charitable organizations
Choose Safer Products for the Home
Our family is making a conscious effort to not only choose home products that are safer for our family, but for the environment as well. I was shocked to hear that there were so many folks who didn’t know about the Febreze ONE line yet. Perfect for your living room, bathroom, bedrooms and more – this line not only smells good, it’s safer for your home too. And those who love Febreze, you’re going to love how this product line works. Why is Febreze ONE our favorite Febreze lines? Let me count the ways:
- This nature-inspired product line features the Febreze odor elimination power that you trust, but with safer ingredients.
- This line features an entire collection of products without dyes, aerosols, phthalates or formaldehyde – safer for your family and for the planet.
- Deactivates the toughest odors with odor elimination power derived from corn – for a safer home product alternative.
- Febreze ONE has lighter scents all inspired by nature – even for the most sensitive noses. No harsh perfumes or heavy sprays, great for use around kids and pets.
Look for the full line of Febreze ONE products like Febreze ONE Fabric & Air Mist, Candles, Fabric Refresher, Febreze ONE Wax Warmer with Wax Melts, Car, and Plugs in scents like Bamboo and Lemongrass & Ginger, now available at Walmart and Walmart.com. Shop now.
Loving our earth begins by connecting with our earth. Encourage your kids to get in touch with nature by exploring, discovering, smelling, and even planting/renewing our precious planet resources.
Cleaning up is more than just a habit. It’s a lifestyle. Getting your kids in the routine of picking up trash no matter where they are – that’s the key. Whether we’re driving in the car or at the beach, we always keep a trash bag so that we can lend the Earth a hand at cleaning up.
Make More Zero Waste Choices
It’s a conscious effort to choose products with zero waste. Whether we are reaching for that fresh produce snack or choosing recyclable materials, making the choice to reduce our carbon footprint on this planet is a good choice.
To celebrate Earth Day every day, it starts with us planting the seed, watering it, and watching it grow. Making conscious decisions, creating healthy habits and instilling those in our kids – it’s our job as parents to help our kids to be mindful of how we treat our planet. A greener family lifestyle is not an overnight change – but the building up of small changes leading to generations of people loving on our planet. Educate, take action and don’t forget to pick up your Febreze ONE products at Walmart.
How does your family celebrate Earth Day every day?
Be sure to follow Raising Whasians for parenting ideas, free printables, easy family recipes, kid craft ideas, travel and more.