DIY Paper Flower Bouquet | Perfect Mother’s Day Craft
What mom doesn’t love flowers for Mother’s Day, right? But being the crafty sort that I am, I couldn’t just BUY flowers. I thought I could make beautiful flowers at home. And well…for free. This DIY Paper Flower Bouquet is the perfect Mother’s Day craft idea so your little ones can bring the perfect bouquet of flowers for mom.
Just a few supplies and a little creativity, this easy idea is definitely a great last minute spring craft or Mother’s Day craft! And who would believe these were made of good ole paper bags?
I don’t know why, but I love the all-natural look of the paper flowers. No dyes, no crafting magic, just simple beauty. I think you and your kids will love this craft too.
What You Will Need
- Paper Grocery Bags – I used 3
- Circle Stencil (think top of a big jar, etc.). My circle was 6 1/4 inches in diameter
- Hot Glue (careful around the littles!)
- OPTIONAL – Chopsticks or Ribbon
Not much in the way of supplies, right? That makes this craft even more awesome! Ok, so here’s how we are going to construct this bouquet and go from drab paper bags
And even this. But more on this part later.
1. Using your circle stencil, cut out a whole bunch of circles. I was able to grab about 14 to 16 per bag using all sides and the bottom. I would have snapped a picture, but I figured you knew what a bunch of cut out paper bag circles looked like.
2. Crinkle the circles. You kids will love this part.
3. Open the circle and fold, almost in half like this. Turn it over.
4. Now fold in cone shaped thirds. Roll a third of the flower, then wrap the other third around the outside. Hold the flower in your hand.
5. Go ahead and fluff/shape the flower to your desired look. The paper bag is perfect for holding shape.
6. Get out the hot glue gun and dab a small part of the cone to get the flower to stay together.
7. Now glue all of the cones together, forming a sphere shape. Don’t try and think about it too hard. Just work your flowers to create a pretty bouquet.
8. Once your sphere is set, you can use chopsticks (yes, the ones you get with take-out) as a stem to hold up your bouquet. Place in a pretty vase for mom. She’d love that.
OPTIONAL Hanging Idea
Not a bouquet kind of person? Well this beautiful hanging topiary version is just as sweet! Just thread some beautiful ribbon through the center (I used some of those chopsticks to jam the ribbon in there). Tie the looped end into a knot (or glue). Then use the ribbon at the top to make a sweet bow. VOILA! Ready for hanging!
Ok, I’m kind of in love with this DIY paper flower bouquet. Wouldn’t your heart do a big “AWWWWW” when you receive one from your child too this Mother’s Day?
Perfect upcycle idea for those paper bags and beautiful results, I couldn’t be happier with my pretty flowers 🙂 And when a cutie like this hands them to you…heart melts.
Need some more DIY Mother’s Day ideas? Try this DIY Tea Stained Picture Frame with your kids!