Make these DIY Mermaid Tail Finger Puppets to Celebrate the 30th Anniversary of Disney’s The Little Mermaid – the perfect kids craft idea! This post is sponsored by Disney. All magical opinions are my own. May contain commissioned links.
DIY Mermaid Tail Finger Puppets
Do you know the names of Ariel’s 6 sisters?
Nope, I didn’t either.
Just in case you’re wondering, they all have “A” names: Aquata, Andrina, Arista, Attina, Adella, Alana. And, all of the sisters are color coded too. So that got me thinking, these mermaid sisters don’t get much love. Don’t they deserve to have their own Little Mermaid craft?
Yes, yes they do.
To celebrate all of King Triton’s daughters returning in the 30th anniversary of The Little Mermaid on Blu-ray, we made these DIY Mermaid Tail Finger Puppets. This adorable kids craft idea brings all 7 mermaid sisters to life as we swim along to a classic Disney movie favorite. Make these DIY Mermaid Tail Finger Puppets as a “part of your world” with just a few easy steps. Plus bring home The Little Mermaid 30th Anniversary Edition on digital and Blu-ray, with all-new bonus features!
The Little Mermaid 30th Anniversary All-New Bonus Features
30 years, y’all. I don’t know about you, but that’s making me feel all sorts of old. The iconic Disney princess, the beginning of the “new classic” Disney princesses, Ariel is more than just a Disney character. She’s a legend.
To honor her 30th anniversary, you can own the all-new The Little Mermaid Walt Disney Signature Edition now digital and on Blu-ray on February 26, 2019. Featuring all-new bonus features, sing-along songs and over 3 hours of extras, you’re going to want to rush to own this Disney movie while it’s out of the vault.
Blu-ray & Digital
- Sing-Along Mode – Sing along to the movie in this sing-along version of the film.
- Alan Menken & the Leading Ladies Song – From the voice of a mermaid to the tunes of a muse, the music of Alan Menken has scored the soundtrack for some of Disney’s most iconic leading ladies. Join Alan, Jodi Benson (Ariel), Paige O’Hara (Belle), Judy Kuhn (Pocahontas Singing Voice), Lillias White (Calliope) and Donna Murphy (Mother Gothel) as we celebrate the music of their films in honor of the one that started it all, “The Little Mermaid.” In this discussion, the ladies will share their memories of musically creating their characters with Alan, discuss what it means to be part of the Disney Princess/leading lady legacy and create new memories as they sing with Alan around a baby grand piano.
- “What I Want From You…Is YOUR VOICE” – Enter the recording studio and get an inside look at the cast of “The Little Mermaid” in their original recording sessions.
- Stories From Walt’s Office – Gadgets & Gizmos – Like Ariel, Walt Disney was a collector of many different things from miniatures to early mechanical characters that inspired the invention of audio-animatronics. We take a look at some the collections that Walt kept in his office in the third episode of this series.
- #TreasuresUntold – Join Ruby Rose Turner and Olivia Sanabia from the Disney Channel Original Series “Coop and Cami Ask the World” as they take a deep dive to explore some hidden treasures and fun facts about Disney’s “The Little Mermaid.”
- DCapella “Part of Your World” Music Video
- Classic Bonus Features – revisit four exciting bonus features from previous releases including:
- Deleted Character: Harold The Merman
- Under The Scene: The Art Of Live Action Reference
- Howard’s Lecture
- Audio Commentary With Ron Clements, John Musker and Alan Menken
- “Part of Your World” – A 30-Year Retrospective – Songwriter Alan Menken and Jodi Benson, the acting and singing voice of Ariel, sing the epitome of Disney “I Want” songs “Part of Your World” and discuss its impact since it was first heard 30 years ago.
- Classic Bonus Features – Over 3 additional hours of previously released classic bonus features including Deleted Scenes, Easter Eggs, Music Videos and more!
DIY Mermaid Tail Finger Puppets
So. Much. Cuteness. After 30 years of The Little Mermaid, I’ll admit that coming up with a new and fun Little Mermaid craft was a little intimidating. SO much Ariel has been done and overdone. Which got me thinking about those sisters and these adorable DIY Mermaid Tail Finger Puppets.
Swim along with all 7 sisters (I didn’t forget Ariel!) as your kids watch The Little Mermaid Walt Disney Signature Edition – now here for a limited time. Ready to make this easy Disney inspired craft?
What You Will Need:
- Lots of colored stiff felt – at least 2 shades of blue green for Ariel. If you plan on doing all 6 of the sisters you will also need: 2 shades of red, 2 shades of orange, 2 shades of blue, 2 shades of green, 2 shades of blue, 2 shades of purple and 2 shades of pink.
- Needle and thread
- Hot glue
- This FREE Mermaid Tail Finger Puppet Template
- First, cut out the template to use as your guide.
- Next, trace along your felt to create 2 triangles on the darker colored felt and 2 fins on the lighter colored felt.
- Then, using your needle and thread for a simple stitch, sew your two triangles together, leaving room at the bottom of the triangle to slip your child’s finger inside.
- After that, use your hot glue to attach your fins to the top of the triangle. Allow to dry.
- Repeat above steps for your other Little Mermaid sisters’ tails.
Your little mermaid will enjoy swimming along with Ariel and all of her sisters “under the sea” with these adorable DIY Mermaid Tail Finger Puppets.
Perfect for a party, play date or just a fun family movie night, we absolutely LOVE how these sweet finger puppets came out. Be sure to grab The Little Mermaid Walt Disney Signature Edition now on digital and on Blu-ray 2/26 and let’s celebrate Ariel’s 30th anniversary together!
Would your kids love playing with these DIY Mermaid Tail Finger Puppets?
The Little Mermaid Craft Ideas from my blogger friends:
- The Little Mermaid Candy Bark
- The Little Mermaid Bath Bombs
- The Little Mermaid Lip Balm
- Ursula & Flounder Clothespin Magnets
- The Little Mermaid Valentine Bags
Be sure to follow Raising Whasians for fun kids craft ideas, easy family recipes, travel tips & Disney movie updates.