The Secret Life of Pets Puppy Chow & Family Movie Night Ideas
Puppy Chow. It’s that moment when you combine the crunchy goodness of cereal with the sweetness of powdered sugar into a delicious snack, then add two finger-licking children – it’s basically like owning pets, right? Speaking of pets, we’re celebrating The Secret Life of Pets coming home on Blu-ray & DVD on December 6 with a pet-approved movie party! Grab ideas for your next pet-inspired family movie night plus this delicious The Secret Life of Pets Puppy Chow Recipe. Ready to have a doggone good time?
It’s no secret that our family loves The Secret Life of Pets. This film was a family-favorite from our summer movie list – our kids couldn’t stop talking about it! To celebrate the film coming to Blu-ray and DVD, our family got cozy for the evening with The Secret Life of Pets Family Movie Night.
Snacks bar, drinks, fun “pet inspired” items and a copy of the new Blu-ray combo pack made this a family night to remember! Check out our spread.
Pet snacks were definitely on the agenda with our The Secret Life of Pets inspired snack bar. We had gummy worms for the birds. Carrots for the bunnies. Fish crackers for crunch. Our red licorice leashes were fun too!
Milk was definitely the drink of choice for the cats in the house. And to cover the humans of the bunch (my kids got a kick out of that sign), we popped some popcorn. Add a few little pet inspired decor pieces – and I had this family movie night up and running in minutes!
In case you haven’t seen this adorable animated film yet, The Secret Life of Pets is a comedy about the lives our pets lead after we leave for work or school each day. From the humans that brought your Despicable Me, The animated film features humor, action packed adventure, and lots of familiar voices keep the whole family entertained. Featuring an all-star voice cast including Louis C.K., Eric Stonestreet, Kevin Hart, Jenny Slate, Ellie Kemper, Lake Bell, Dana Carvey, Hannibal Buress, Bobby Moynihan, Steve Coogan and Albert Brooks.
The Secret Life of Pets Puppy Chow
But the star of this family movie night was The Secret Life of Pets Puppy Chow, of course! Inspired by the dogs and colors of the movie, I made sure to bring the FUN into the family snack of the evening. Here’s the kid-approved recipe:
- 4.5 cups rice Chex cereal
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 3 TBSP heavy whipping cream
- 12 oz white chocolate chips
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup red & yellow sprinkles - I used the sphere ones!
- 1.5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup red, yellow, and blue chocolate covered candies
- Place Chex cereal in large bowl. Set aside.
- In small pot, melt butter over low heat. Add whipping cream, almond and vanilla extracts. Stir.
- Add white chocolate chips, stirring constantly until melted. Mixture will be thick.
- Pour chocolate mixture over cereal. Fold in cereal gently to coat (be careful to not break the cereal).
- Wait about 3-5 minutes (or until ALMOST completely cool) to fold in sprinkles to coat - so the sprinkles won't melt. Cool completely.
- In large zipper sealed bag, add cereal and powdered sugar. Close. Shake bag until coated.
- When ready to serve, add chocolate covered candies. Serve immediately. Store in airtight container.
The kids loved helping to make The Secret Life of Pets Puppy Chow for our movie night. Someone had a little too much fun shaking the bag.
Snacks in hand, it was time for family movie night! The kids could not be more excited to watch The Secret Life of Pets at home.
And get ready for a fun family movie night with The Secret Life of Pets Puppy Chow!