The 2014 Winter Olympics are almost here, and I wanted to get my son excited about all of the FUN events! So I came up with a FUN kids craft to make your own Olympic Torch with items you have around the house. Let’s get excited together for this great world event, so you can watch the opening and closing ceremonies in style (and maybe get a victory lap from your little ones)!
- (1) Empty Paper Towel Roll
- (1) Clear Plastic Cocktail Cup
- (1) Set of Paint (Black, Blue, Yellow, Red, Green)
- (1) Tube of Gold Paint – I found at Target
- (1) Hot Glue Gun – parent supervision required!
- (1) Piece of Yellow Tissue Paper
- (1) Piece of Orange Tissue Paper
- (1) Piece of Red Tissue Paper
- BONUS – (1) Piece of Iridescent Cellophane
TOTAL Cost: I only paid for the gold paint – about $1 🙂
1. Paint the empty paper towel roll in gold paint. Allow to dry. This will be your torch handle. (Remember that Easy DIY Tu-Tu Tutorial? The empty tulle roll made an excellent torch handle too!)
2. Grab your paint set and paint the Olympic Rings like this on your paper towel roll:
This was a great time to teach my son about the symbolic meaning of the rings. Each color represented all of the colors from the countries’ flags who were participating in the games in 1912.
3. Take the top of your paper towel roll and add a ring of hot glue to the top. Attach your cocktail cup, open cup facing UP.
4. Take your tissue paper and lay out in criss-cross sections. I laid the red on the bottom, them orange, yellow and iridescent cellophane last. Gather the tissue paper from underneath in the middle and hold like a bouquet of flowers. The red paper should be on the outside. Stuff the paper inside your cocktail cup.
VOILA! You have a FUN homemade Olympic Torch, ready for opening day! My son was super proud of his torch and loves to run around the house while carrying it!
I love when the Olympics come around. It’s such a rare opportunity to see the world come together in a peaceful and amazing way. So beautiful and riveting. We really get into the events and American (and Asian) pride!
Need another Olympics Craft Idea? Check out this Easy Olympic Rings Craft!
We will be watching the 2014 Olympics starting February 7th. Will you be watching too? What is your favorite event?
Looking for more great kid craft ideas? Check out my tab HERE.
Be sure to follow Saving Said Simply via Facebook, Twitter, Google, Instagram, Pinterest and YouTube for more fun kids crafts, recipes & family-friendly reviews!