Make summer reading fun with this easy DIY No Sew Reading Tent for Kids! An easy summer project idea that requires zero sewing! This post is sponsored by Zenni Optical via One2One Network. All opinions stated are my own. May contain commissioned links.
No Sew Reading Tent for Kids
We officially have a little glasses wearer in the house. That’s right. At 7-years old, my son is now the proud owner of a sweet little pair of spectacles. The change for him at first was difficult.
“No one else wears glasses in 2nd grade. Do I have to wear these everyday?”
But when he put on his glasses for the first time, it was amazing how differently he could see the world. Shapes, colors, people – everything looked beautiful and new.
I knew that I had to celebrate my son and his new glasses wearing journey, but how? I headed to my favorite store for inspiration. Then I saw it. A teepee, perfect for reading…for about $90. My mouth literally dropped in the middle of the store. I mean, I love my son and all. But $90 for a play tent? Sorry, kid.
Then, light bulb.
DIY No Sew Reading Tent for Kids
And so, the DIY No Sew Reading Tent for Kids was inspired. Just a few supplies, no sewing required (because if you know me, you know that I don’t sew), and all for around $20 – this tent will inspire your little one to read this summer too!
Ready to make your own? Seriously, you won’t believe how easy this DIY reading tent is to make!
What You Will Need
The materials may look intimidating, but don’t fear! This No Sew Reading Tent is actually so easy to create! And if this DIY mom can do it, so can you! Here’s what you will need:
- (5) 3/4″ diameter PVC Pipe, about 5 feet long (We had some leftover from our DIY Kids Car Wash!)
- (2) 3/4″ diameter PVC Pipe, about 4 feet long
- (4) 3/4″ PVC elbow joints
- PVC Pipe Cutters
- (2) 50″ x 84″ tab curtains
- Begin by taking 2 of the 5 foot pipes and tying together in an “A” frame as shown. Using the rope, be sure to wrap around both poles both over and under to keep the 2 poles in place. Knot the ends.
- Repeat. Make a second A-frame out of 2 more of the 5 foot pipes and rope.
3. Place elbow joints at the bottom of each A-frame pipe base. Using the (2) 4 foot pipes, connect and complete the A-frame as shown.
All that’s left is the last 5 foot PVC pipe and 2 curtains.
4. With the pipe in the middle, lay out the curtains so that you have one curtain on either side of the pipe, pattern side up. Now thread the tabs of the curtains onto the pipe, alternating between the 2 so that you have a tent like the picture above. Let the curtains hang down.
5. Place the curtain pole across the top of the two A-frames, as shown in the picture above. Be sure that it can hang on it’s own without extra support. (You don’t want the tent falling down on top of your child’s head!)
6. Pull curtain taut.
7. Wrap the remaining curtain length around the bottoms of the A-frame and underneath the middle of the tent to make a built in tent bottom (no itchy skin and no sewing!).
Time to read! My son LOVES to read in his new reading tent.
The perfect place to enjoy some quiet time, this tent is the perfect spot to catch up on his favorite chapter book.
And no reading tent is complete without showing off his new specs from Zenni Optical. Encouraging families to read all summer long, Zenni Optical offers a huge variety of stylish glasses and sunglasses for kids and adults at affordable prices.
That means my son’s new stylish specs from Zenni Optical cost me less than the supplies for this tent!
Encourage summer reading with your family with this DIY No Sew Reading Tent for Kids. And get your family quality glasses for your family budget at Zenni Optical. See why #SeeingIsForReading at https://bit.ly/SeeingIsForReading.
Be sure to follow Raising Whasians for more of your favorite craft ideas, DIY projects, party ideas and more!