Hosting your own Harry Potter birthday party? Don’t forget to make your own Easy Harry Potter Wands DIY for Under $2 each, the perfect party favor! May contain commissioned links.
EASY Harry Potter Wands DIY for Under $2
My son wanted a Harry Potter birthday party for his 9th birthday. I know, I couldn’t be more proud. But creating a birthday party based on one of the most epic book and movie series EV-AH…not an easy feat, especially when you’re a crafty Type-A perfectionist with about 1 million amazing ideas. But travel and a crunched time frame forced me to focus on the absolute Harry Potter birthday party must haves.
Case in point – wands. You cannot have a party without the wands.
But have you been to Universal’s Wizarding World of Harry Potter lately? I keep seeing the prices climb – last time I checked over $45 per interactive wand. Did you have a slight heart attack? Yeah, me too.
Not being able to afford such an amazing party favor for our guests, I did the next best thing, make my own Harry Potter wands. These Easy Harry Potter Wands DIY for under $2 a pop will have your guests thinking you really brought the magic to the birthday party.
And hey, with a slight Asian flair too…
Easy Harry Potter Wands DIY
It all begins and ends with good chopsticks. Yes, chopsticks. Did you know that Asians use long cooking chopsticks for their big ole pot steaming, stewing and souping? But if you take a closer look these extra long cooking utensils actually have a more magical purpose in life. But it’s all in picking the right ones.
What You Will Need:
- Long Cooking Chopsticks – about 15 inches long with round body and pointed ends. I suggest ones that are NOT pre-painted/glossed.
- Hot Glue – a ton of it
- Paint – browns, golds, blacks
- Modge Podge Gloss Finish
- The handle of a Harry Potter wand makes or breaks this tutorial. So I suggest using Google as your friend to pull up a few pictures of wands as your go-to. Some are easier to recreate than others – Harry’s is pretty easy, as well as Draco, Ron and Bellatrix. But more complicated designs like Dumbledore and Hermione will need a bit of practice. Choose an easy design to start with and work up to to the harder ones, or get creative and create your own designs.
- Add hot glue in the design of your wand to the handle portion of your chopstick. Allow to dry in between coats, especially with the thicker areas. You’ll definitely need some patience as you work with the glue. You may need to use your fingers to shape the glue a bit as it gets cooler.
- When fully dry, paint the wands your desired color. I loved accenting the wands with a touch of gold paint to give them an older/distressed look. Plus the girls went nuts for the glittery ones. Allow to dry.
- For the finishing look, give your wand a good coat of modge podge gloss finish. It gives it that perfect shine (no sticky paint) and feels more like the real thing.
In case you have Elder wand goals this took about 3 hot glue sticks to recreate. Totally worth the effort though, right? (I giggle that I wasn’t able to get a picture on party day. That was a popular wand!)
My biggest tip for making these wands is to make sure you have a few extra chopsticks handy. It’s definitely a learning process for this Easy Harry Potter Wands DIY. Allow yourself some creativity lenience. Also making sure you have your next glue stick on-hand definitely helps to move the process along quicker.
I was super happy with the way these wands came out, and honestly the kids (and adults) all thought they were real! BOOM. The best Harry Potter birthday party favor ever, my kids still love spell dueling with their wands to this day. These Easy Harry Potter Wands were such a hit – definitely a keepsake for every Harry Potter fan.
Stay tuned as I share more from our Harry Potter birthday party here soon. The DIYs and party ideas made this one of my favorite birthday parties to date! But in the meantime, take a look at some of my favorite DIY birthday parties:
- Frozen Fever Party Ideas
- Toddler Tea Party Ideas
- Disney Up Party Ideas
- The Secret Life of Pets Party Ideas
- Finding Dory Party Ideas