I’m Running 6K for Water So She Doesn’t Have to #6KforWater
This is Aissata. This beautiful little girl is only 9 years old. She’s about the same age as my son. She lives at home with her 2 brothers and parents. Aissata attends school and loves to draw. The difference? She lives in Niger, a developing country in Africa. Struggling to make ends meet, Aissata lives in a village where clean water is a dream. What does Aissata’s story have to do with you and with me?
Why 6 Kilometers Matters
There are so many things that I take for granted everyday. A roof over my head, food in my refrigerator, clean water out of my tap. I think of all of the times that I sigh when another water pipe busts in our neighborhood – another 72 hours of boiling water, I complain. Then I read about World Vision’s Global 6K for Water. Insert foot in mouth.
6K for water, 3.72 miles – that’s the average distance that people from the developing world – mostly women and children like Aissata – walk everyday just to obtain water. And that water is brown, dirty and often contaminated with life-threatening diseases. Instant pit in my stomach – it physically hurts to think of all of those little children not only carrying heavy containers of water – but gross water that I wouldn’t even think of giving my own children to touch, let alone drink from. We shouldn’t have to live in a world where people don’t have access to clean water. Period. But what can we do about it?
One Cause. One Weekend. All Nations.
Insert World Vision. If you’ve been following my family’s journey, you know how passionate I am about personally supporting World Vision and their charity mission year round. On May 6, 2017, people from around the world will be joining together to walk or run 6 kilometers for clean water. And you and I can help.
- Cause: Clean Water for Everyone
- Weekend: May 6, 2017
- Nations: You and Me
Help give people around the world access to clean water by walking or running 6K for Water with Team World Vision. The best part? It’s easy to join.
How to Join the World Vision Global 6K for Water
It’s never been easier to make a difference for clean water. With multiple ways for your family to get involved, we can do this together! Here’s how to get involved:
- Become a host site: Work together with your church, school, community center or run club to register as a host site (it’s free!) and spread the word about how fun and easy it is to support clean water programs around the world! Whether your goal is 10 people or 100 people, World Vision will equip you with all the marketing materials, race day signage and staff support for a successful race day.
- Join a local team: Walk or run with other Global 6K for Water participants at a host site near you.
- Start a virtual team: Invite your friends and family all around the country to join your “team” even though you will each be walking or running from your own neighborhoods on race day.
- Complete an individual race: Walk or run the Global 6K for Water from your own front door – whether on a treadmill or around the neighborhood with your kids, you’ll be taking part in a global effort to support clean water!
The first step is to Register for the 6K for Water. Your $50 Registration includes:
- Support of World Vision’s water programs – giving more people access to clean water
- Global 6K for Water T-Shirt
- Race Bib with a World Vision child available to sponsor
- Global 6K for Water Race Medal
- Children under the age of 15 years old save 50% off – only $25 to register!
Then Walk/Run 6K for Water on May 6, 2017. Join people around the world in the efforts to provide clean water to everyone! This is the perfect opportunity to not only make a difference in an amazing cause, but focus on your personal health goals. With a half marathon on my bucket list, this is the perfect time to boost my training!
Share and Make a Difference. When you’ve completed your goal, make sure to share with the world! Whether on social media or to family and friends – make sure to keep the race going after you cross the finish line!
I’m running 6K for Water so Aissata doesn’t have to. Will you join me in the World Vision Global 6K for Water? Be sure to follow World Vision via Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for the latest #6KforWater updates, sponsorship opportunities and more ways to give back and make a difference.
How can your family support the World Vision Global 6K for Water?
Be sure to follow Raising Whasians via Facebook, Twitter, Google, Instagram, Pinterest and YouTube for more ways for families to give back, charities I personally love and causes that make a difference.