Celebrate that special kid birthday with this Wicked Apple Gift Box DIY (and purse!). I was asked to participate in the #HallmarkAtWalgreens campaign, sponsored by Walgreens. Although I have been compensated, all opinions are my own.
Wicked Apple Gift Box DIY (And Purse!)
I’ve never seen my son so excited. This summer he met a girl (yes, a girl!) that he became instant best friends with. It’s been magical to watch their kindred friendship bloom. Constant chatter, bursts of laughter, and in “cahoots” about everything – these two are inseparable. So you can imagine the screaming that occurred when he heard that his friend’s birthday was coming up. He got downright serious when he told me, “We have to make her birthday a good one, Mom.”
How can I let that kid down with a request like that? I can’t! Kids birthdays are so special, especially at this age when those birthday memories last a lifetime. That’s why we go all out for the special family and friends in our lives. Knowing that his friend is a big Disney Descendants 2 fan, we knew that a DIY Descendants 2-inspired gift box would be a fun way to celebrate. Find out how to make your child’s next birthday wickedly fun with this Wicked Apple Gift Box DIY (that doubles as a purse!) and how we made this little girl’s birthday extra special with the perfect Hallmark card at Walgreens.
Finding the Perfect Hallmark Card for that Special Birthday
Is it just me or are there a ton of kids birthdays over the summer? With so many birthday party celebrations this season, now is the time to stock up on those amazing birthday cards, like Hallmark Cards at Walgreens. I love that my local Walgreens always has an amazing selection of kid-friendly birthday cards featuring all of their favorite characters. A birthday for the ultimate Disney Descendants 2 fan wouldn’t be the same without that extra special card. So my son picked out this fun Disney Descendants 2 Hallmark card for his friend. He loved how this card included a pretty sweet Descendants 2 necklace with the card. “It’s like she gets another gift!”
He couldn’t wait to personalize his special birthday card. So as soon we got home, he sat to down to write his own personal message (I couldn’t help but peek over his shoulder!) as he wished her the best birthday ever. So sweet!
Wicked Apple Gift Box DIY (And Purse!)
There’s nothing like that unique Descendants gift to go with the perfect Descendants 2 birthday card. That’s why my son was so excited to make this matching Wicked Apple Gift Box DIY for his friend. A great holder for that special birthday gift, this box also doubles as a trendy purse after the birthday fun is done! Ready to get crafty? Here’s how to make your own:
What You Will Need:
- Circle Paper Mache Box with Lid
- Red Poster Paint
- Gold Glitter Paint
- Alphabet Stickers
- Green Stock Paper (I found some with glitter – just saying)
- Gold Chain – about 1 meter in length
- (1) Cinnamon Stick
- Hot Glue Gun
- Push Pin/Xacto Knife
- Start by painting the outside of the gift box with red paint. Multiple coats may be needed. Allow to dry between coats.
- Apply thin layer of gold glitter paint – enough to give your box a glittery shine. Allow to dry.
- Hot glue one end of the stick. Apply apple stem (i.e. stick) to the bottom portion of the box standing upright until dry. Cut out a single leaf shape out of the green paper. Hot glue onto the apple stem.
- Using a push-pin/Xacto knife/scissors/etc., make two holes on either side of the apple stem, about 6 inches apart.
- Tie one end of a string in a knot on the last link of the gold chain (leave about 6-8 inches on one end of the string). Pull the string through the hole into the inside of the box. Take the long end of the string and thread through the second hole to the outside of the box. Loop around the other end of the gold chain. Re-thread the string through the bottom of the same hole (back to the inside of the box and tie a knot to secure. If desired, hot glue the inside of the box at the holes to secure the chain in place.
- Now for the lid. Place alphabet stickers as desired onto the lid of the box. We chose “WICKED” for ours. Other movie quotes would be fun to add as well!
Place the perfect Descendants 2 gift inside and give to your special child for a wonderfully unique birthday gift box. The box doubles as a wicked apple purse too!
Kids’ birthdays shape some of the best memories of their childhood. That’s why we make sure that every birthday is extra special. I know that my son’s favorite little girl will adore this Wicked Apple Gift Box for her birthday this summer, especially when paired with this amazing Disney Descendants 2 Hallmark card that we found at Walgreens (oh, and an extra sweet personalized message from my son – wink, wink!).
How do you make kids’ birthdays extra special? Have you found the perfect Hallmark card to celebrate?
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Walgreens. The opinions and text are all mine.
Looking for more?