What happens When It Rains at Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party? Here are my Best Tips to make the most of your family’s Disney World visit. This post is sponsored by Walt Disney World. All magical opinions are my own.
Best Tips When It Rains at Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party
When it rains, it pours! I’m certainly not one to plan on visiting Walt Disney World on a rainy day, but when Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party is on the calendar – we go!
Our 2017 Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party was definitely WET this year as we experienced a major thunderstorm during the party. But just because it’s raining in Florida, doesn’t mean you can’t make the best Not So Scary Memories yet. So in case your family comes across a little wet weather during your Disney World visit, I’m sharing my 10 Best Tips for When It Rains at Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party.
I ain’t afraid of no ghosts – or storms!
Be Prepared – Rain or Shine
A little rain won’t stop the fun at Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party. If you’ve booked your tickets and rain is in the forecast, don’t worry! Be wet! There may be adjustments in the schedule and your family may not go home with perfectly primped hair, but there’s definitely a whole lot of FUN to still be had when it rains at Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party. It’s best to be prepared either way – rain or shine!
Don’t hold onto that 7 pm party time. The party unofficially kicks off at 4 pm for Not So Scary ticket holders. Plan to go early to enjoy 3 more hours (hopefully rain-free) at the park, and make the most of your rainy days!
Costumes Rain Gear Accordingly
- Rain-Friendly Costumes – not always so easy to manage, but I try to choose costumes for my kids that weigh down or be too heavy when wet. Also consider bringing an extra costume.
- Ponchos, Rain Jackets – Yup, definitely needed. Are your kids worried no one will see their costumes? Go for the clear ponchos.
- Umbrellas – Enough said.
- Stroller with Canopy – Little ones will stay just a hint drier if you choose your stroller with the biggest overhang.
- Extra Clothes – Let’s face it, costumes are not the most comfortable things anyway. But when wet – it can make the night a little more challenging. Consider an extra change of clothes as your kids get tired, itchy, hot or wet.
- Rain Approved Footwear – On the nights rain is expected, plan your footwear accordingly. I highly recommend shoes that you don’t mind getting SOAKED – rain boots, water shoes, old sneakers, and Crocs. Keep an extra pair of dry shoes on-hand or in the car if needed.
- Dry Bag – There are definitely things that you don’t want to get wet while at the party. Consider a really good dry bag for precious electronics (phone, camera, etc.), money and other valuables.
- Towels – Keep a small hand towel on hand during heavy rain nights to dry little faces, glasses and electronics. I recommend having big towels on-hand in your car when it’s time to go home.
- Plastic Bags – Consider grocery bags or other lined bags to hold your wet clothes and treats; keep them separated from your dry items.
Plan Out “Dry-Run” Candy Routes
Want to grab candy in-between rain squalls? Make sure to plan out your candy routes accordingly. Most of these spots are sheltered from the rain. Take note that some lines may wrap around outside – keeping you in the rain. My tip? Grab candy on the way – hopping in lines when they’re short, avoiding when they’re long.
- Pirates of the Caribbean
- Enchanted Tiki Room
- Jungle Cruise
- Splash Mountain
- Dock to Tom Sawyer Island
- Liberty Square Riverboat
- Pinocchio Village Haus
- Mickey’s PhilharMagic (BONUS: Disney Halloween films/shows playing inside the theater!)
- Pete’s Silly Sideshow
- Space Mountain
- Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Cafe
- Carousel of Progress
Don’t forget about the Not So Scary allergy-friendly candy stops as well at the Main Street USA’s Town Square Theater and Liberty Square’s Heritage House. It’s a good idea to grab all of your tokens first (keeping your bags light!) and collect your goodies just before going home.
Make Time for Indoor Rides
One of the best parts about Not So Scary is that ride lines are usually much faster with less people in the park. But when it storms, ride closures are common. Outdoor rides like Dumbo, Mine Train and Thunder Mountain are more likely to be shut down quickly during a thunderstorm. Here are your best bets for indoor attractions:
- Haunted Mansion
- Pirates of the Caribbean
- Country Bear Jamboree
- It’s a Small World
- Peter Pan’s Flight
- Journey of the Little Mermaid
- The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
- Princess Fairytale Hall
- Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor
- Space Mountain
- Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin
Wait to ride Dumbo, Magic Carpets, Tea Cups, Carousel, Mine Train, Astro Orbiter, Swiss Family Treehouse, Thunder Mountain and Barnstormer until the thunderstorm passes. When the rain starts to trickle, star heading towards your favorite ride. You might be lucky enough to be one of the first ones in-line!
Shop for Exclusive Merchandise
Guess where the shopping is? Sheltered from the rain! More rain means more time to shop during Not So Scary Party nights. Be sure to stop in during the rain at these spots to grab your exclusive MagicBands, apparel, ornaments, pins and more:
- Big Top Souvenirs
- Frontier Trading Post
- Mickey’s Star Traders
Eat More Treats
A little rain? Good thing those wickedly fun Disney treats are dry! Enjoy a few more Not So Scary exclusive eats during those rainy party nights.
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Dome – Gaston’s Tavern, Main Street Bakery
- Haunted Mansion Dessert Hunt – Aloha Isle, Auntie Gravity’s Galactic Goodies, Liberty Square Market, Storybook Treats
- Jack Skellington Dessert – Sleepy Hollow
- Worms and Dirt Gravestone – Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn & Cafe
- Chocolate Rice Crispy Treats – outdoor food carts and kiosks
- Candy Corn Soft Serve – Auntie Gravity’s Galactic Goodies
Expect Possible Special Entertainment Delays
Is it raining on your parade? Keep calm and expect delays! Anticipating time changes and inclement weather delays will help you stay in the Halloween spirit.
- The Boo-to-You Parade (9:15 pm & 11:15 pm) is likely to be delayed until severe weather passes
- Happy Hallowishes Fireworks Show (10:15 pm) is likely to be delayed until severe weather passes
- Special Character Appearances are likely to be delayed until severe weather passes
- The Hocus Pocus Stage Show (8:15 pm, 10:45 pm, 12 am) is likely be cancelled due to severe weather at time of show (try to catch one of the other shows)
- Monstrous Scream-O-Ween Dance Party (7 pm – 12 am) is likely to be delayed/cancelled due to severe weather
What If Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party Is Cancelled for the Night? What’s the rain policy?: There are only a very few instances when Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party would be cancelled entirely – one being a severe weather such as a hurricane. (I’m ironically typing this post during Hurricane Irma – one of only a handful of times that Walt Disney World has ever closed!) If Not So Scary is cancelled (which would be updated via Disney’s social media handles and website prior to your visit), Disney World offers many different options for families: rescheduling for another date, refunds, exchanges for Very Merry tickets or 1-day park hoppers were offered for this year’s Hurricane Irma cancellation.
Plan Another Visit Real Soon
With more nights than ever, there’s plenty of opportunities to attend a Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party when it’s sunny and dry! Make a plan to visit again so you can make the most of the Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party. Here are the remaining dates for 2017:
- September 12, 15, 17, 19, 22, 24, 26 and 29
- October 1, 3, 5, 6, 9, 10, 12, 13, 15, 17, 19, 20, 22, 24, 26, 27, 29 and 31
Enjoy Not So Scary Memories – Even When Wet!
Our 2017 Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party memories were definitely that…MEMORABLE! We laugh now at the night that we ran through walls of rain, splashed through magical Disney puddles, and most importantly enjoyed a Not So Scary experience unlike any other in our family’s history. What happens when it rains at Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party? We have more FUN memories!
Book your Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party tickets now through October 31, 2017 – now with more nights than ever! Check out my post on the Best Family Tips for Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party to make the most of your family’s special event. Be sure to follow the fun on social media with hashtag #MickeysHalloweenParty.