Dinosaur Sensory Bin with Edible Volcano
Some things never get old. Dinosaurs. My kids BOTH love anything with these fascinating creatures. So naturally our summer is filled with dinosaur adventures. So that gave me the ultimate summer project idea, a Dinosaur Sensory Bin with Edible Volcano. Fun summer activity and snack in one? Parenting win! So grab your bins, your imaginations and your grumble-y bellies. Dinosaurs will fix your kids’ summer boredom in no time.
I’ve always wanted to make a sensory bin for my kids. I’ve seen them all over the internet, but never had the time to dig into the play possibilities until now. WOW. Happy kids, an hour of play, NO arguing, and a built-in snack. Sold. Just a few items are needed to make this play idea a reality.
What You Will Need
- Dinosaur Toys
- Vanilla Wafer Cookies – 1 box to be safe
- Raw Nuts – I went with almonds
- This Edible Volcano Recipe (see below)
- 1 Large Plastic Bin – I used a 14″ x 11″
- Crush vanilla cookies in food processor until you have “sand” like crumbs. Place in bottom of bin.
- Sprinkle raw nuts for “rocks.”
- Make Edible Volcano Recipe below. Place volcano inside of bin.
- Arrange dinosaur toys and gather the kids for an afternoon of play! Dinosaur roars encouraged.
The crowning jewel of this sensory bin is the AWESOME looking Edible Volcano. No Dinosaur Sensory Bin should be without one, in my opinion.
Pebbles has a way of bringing out the creativity in me and the joy on my kids’ faces. I mean just look at these happy boxes, begging to be used for fun this summer.
Using chocolatey Cocoa Pebbles Cereal to form the impressive rock structure,
and Fruity Pebbles Cereal for the lava, I have a winning colorful piece to your child’s playtime. I couldn’t resist seeing my kids’ eyes open wide when I placed this volcano into their bin. Cool Mom Status achieved. Here’s how to make your edible volcano for your Dinosaur Sensory Bin.
Edible Volcano Recipe
- (1) 11 oz. box of Cocoa Pebbles
- (1) cup of Fruity Pebbles
- 3 TBSP butter
- (1) 10 oz. package of large marshmallows
- Cooking Spray
- Spray the inside of a large saucepan with cooking spray.
- Heat butter in saucepan on low, stirring constantly until melted.
- Add marshmallows. Stir constantly until melted.
- Add Cocoa Pebbles cereal and remove pan from heat. Stir until mixed well.
- Pour onto waxed paper (or parchment paper sprayed with cooking spray). Cool completely.
- Shape into a volcano.
- Use Fruity Pebbles as the "lava" for the volcano, adding to the top and down the sides if desired.
- Eat immediately or store in tightly covered dish.
So now that my kids are thoroughly occupied with dinosaur roars, footprint stamping and finger licking, I’m going to enjoy soaking up more summer giggles from my two favorite children. For more inspiring Pebbles content, connect with Pebbles on Facebook at Facebook.com/PebblesCereal, on Instagram via @PebblesCereal, and on Twitter @PebblesCereal.
Looking for more FUN summer activities for your kids? Here’s some of the MOST popular at Raising Whasians.