Crockpot Whole Chicken Recipe with Citrus & Herb
Summer meals can be tricky to prepare, especially with two little ones out of school and under foot! Take advantage of those dog days of summer with this EASY summer inspired crockpot meal. This Crockpot Whole Chicken Recipe features a citrus and herb mixture that is light, crisp and fresh for the season. Your family will be LOVING the tenderness of this dish! Check out the delicious recipe and say HELLO to summer, the crock pot way.
I love when whole chickens go on sale. Sometimes as low as $0.99 per lb, it’s definitely a meat that we stock up for our family. But anyone that knows me, I have a problem with that darn bird’s anatomy. Every time I try to cook in the oven, it’s upside down. Dinner 4 hours after the fact is never a good thing. So in trying to finally “right” my wrongs (get the pun?), this crockpot dish came to be. And the chicken was cooked perfectly!
- 1 Whole Chicken (3-5 lbs.) (gizzard and heart removed)
- 3-4 cups of Chicken Broth (I even used reduced sodium)
- 1 Large Navel Orange, sliced into wedges
- 1 Lemon, seeds removed (if desired) and sliced into wedges
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tsp of Lime Juice
- 4 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 tsp Basil, crushed
- 1 tsp Oregano, crushed
- 1 tsp Salt-Free Chicken Seasoning (I used Mrs. Dash)
- Olive Oil
- Place whole chicken in crockpot, breast side up.
- Add chicken broth, Arrange orange slices, lemon slices, lime juice, garlic and onion around the perimeter of the chicken.
- Rub olive oil on the chicken that is NOT submerged in the broth.
- Rub the spices into the chicken skin
- Cover. Cook on high for 4-6 hours or Low for 7-9 hours until chicken is completely cooked through
I wish the chicken would have stayed whole for my picture, but you can see why! Moist, hints of citrus, and fall apart tender, this bird didn’t stand a chance in remaining whole! And was it tasty? Absolutely! As a bonus, your house will smell amazing too, just like summer! 10 minutes of prep time on it’s way to a delicious meal for dinner. My husband is already asking when we can make this dinner again 🙂
Need some more delicious crockpot ideas? Try some of these:
Summer is here and things couldn’t be more delicious in our house! A perfect and easy set it and forget it meal means more time to ENJOY all that summer has to offer! 🙂 Don’t forget to pin this delicious recipe!
Who would you share this delicious Whole Chicken Crockpot meal with this summer?
Looking for more?