3 Reasons Why I Won’t Use Facebook Messenger App
You know, “back in the day” Facebook was my favorite social media. You could tell it what you want to see, how you want to connect with people, and you know, control your own page. It was great. Now…facebook is my least favorite social media and unfortunately, this new Facebook Messenger App has pushed me over the edge…so much so that I needed to vent about it here. Yup…insert foot in mouth as I tell you 3 reasons why I won’t use Facebook Messenger App (and why you shouldn’t either).
Why fix something that ain’t broke?
Yes, I know ain’t is NOT a word…but I am using it for emphasis on the dumbness. Facebook messages were GREAT before they switched. You go into your Facebook app and enjoy a private conversation with someone. Very convenient via phone, especially when on the go. Now, the new method requires a 2 app system to get your messages, which brings me to….
I have apps to simplify my life, NOT complicate it
So now, you have to go into Facebook to get your notification that someone loved you enough to leave a message. Then, you click the message which opens an entirely new app
Excuse me, Facebook. My private life is private for a reason
With the new Facebook Messenger App, most folks do NOT realize the privacy issues associated. In fact, it is actually scarier than I first thought. When you download the new app, you need to give Facebook “permission” to do the following:
- Have access to all phone #’s on your phone. That means a complete stranger can now call/text your mom, your brother, your kids if they wanted to.
- Record and take pictures on your behalf. Think of it as a crazy spy thing. They have tapped into your phone and can see the world through your eyes anytime it wants. Record conversations through your microphone, save pictures you never meant to take or share.
- That also means they have your phone records – who have you been calling, texting? How often? Yup, they can track and store that info
- They can use GPS locating to track your whereabouts, whenever they want.
- They can tap into your emails. FB can now read your emails and store them. YIKES!
- Any personal info stored on your phone is now theirs.
- Basically, hand over your first born – All of the above is definitely scary. I have a hard enough time with my kids accessing my phone! I have it on passcode/fingerprint lock down too. So giving an app unlimited access to anything on your phone is completely against everything I stand for as a private private person.
What you can do
Facebook has made it seem as if you have NO choice but to download this app and give all the permissions needed. But you do have options.
- Do NOT download the app. Yes, it becomes a pain to see that you have a message but can’t view it. But if the person really needed you that desperately, wouldn’t you think they would call, text or email you??
- Install/Uninstall the app. This worked for me for a little while. I downloaded the app (all while saying NO to any permissions they asked me), then uninstalled. I was able to revert back to the old messaging system for a week or so
- Open Facebook in your phone browser instead. Fake opening FB in a “computer browser” on your phone vs. using the Facebook app. This is what I am currently using to see messages
- Download the app (if you have to) but DENY all permissions. You have the option to “skip.”
Want more low down on the Facebook Messenger App? Check out this post. Had some really good info to consider 🙂