My DIY Sea Glass Candle Holder & awesome sunset beach date idea came together perfectly in this post. This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CokeHappyHour #CollectiveBias
DIY Sea Glass Candle Holder + Sunset Beach Date Idea
10 years! 2015 marks my 10th wedding anniversary. And I daresay, the husband and I still kind of like each other. But as any busy mom would say, dates with the hubby these days are few and far between. If we had to pick anywhere for our ideal summer date, it would be the beach. In search of our perfect Happy Hour this summer and a jump start on anniversary celebrations, I couldn’t wait to surprise my husband with a perfect Sunset Beach Date. Inspired by our beautiful Florida beaches and my love for homemade, this DIY Sea Glass Candle Holder is the perfect summer craft to bring a little bit of the ocean home this season. Check out how easy it was to create the perfect sea glass effect and create your own sunset beach date!
Do you love sea glass? It’s actually hard to find these days. But the smooth edges, the frosted glass, and the epitome of amazing beach days, I wanted to recreate that look on some glass I had at home. I already had some beautiful shells we collected from Sanibel…sadly sitting in a bucket in the garage. A perfect opportunity to get crafty with some old seashell memories, (and create a beautiful date keepsake), here’s how I made my own DIY Sea Glass Candle Holder.
What You Will Need:
- White School Glue
- Food Coloring
- Dish Soap
- Paint brush
- Glass jar (think dollar store, garage sale, thrift shop find or even an old glass container hanging around the house!)
- Lute twine or beach grass
- Hot glue
- Votive candle
1. In a small cup, mix together 1 1/2 TBSP of White School Glue, 1/2 TBSP of water, 1 drop of dish soap, and food coloring of your choice. I used 3 drops of blue and 1 drop of green for a soft ocean blue.
2. Paint a thin, even layer of the sea glass paint onto the outside of your jar. Be careful to avoid big globs and drips. This will look streaky when applying, but don’t worry! Allow to dry.
3. When dry, apply your Lute to the rim of the glass with hot glue, keeping everything tight and taut as your wind around the top.
4. Here’s where the creativity comes in! Grab your seashells and apply them to your candle holder. I loved the idea of hanging seashells, so I tied a ribbon of lute around the jar and hot glued the seashells onto the ends. PERFECT! Then just fill the jar with sand and a votive candle.
Sunset Beach Date Kit
Living in Florida does have it’s perks. My husband and I LOVE going to the beach. When we were dating, it was OUR place to be. Now with 2 kids, we love our family days swimming in the ocean, building sand castles, and creating happy memories. But I honestly cannot remember the last time my husband and I got to go to the beach by ourselves, especially at sunset time. That was definitely a motivator for our sunset beach date idea. To set the mood for our beach date, I put together this Sunset Beach Date Kit. Can you tell I was excited to finally have a date? Filled with special items to enjoy our date in a matter of minutes, this definitely put both of our minds at ease for a few hours of relaxation. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Beach Blanket
- 2 Coca-Cola 20 oz. Bottles
- Our DIY Sea Glass Candle Holder
Happy Hour Deal!
I confess, I didn’t have a lot of time to put together our date kit (can any moms out there relate?). So I ran up the road to Walgreens to grab our munchies and drinks. Wanting to get something thirst quenching and frugal, I stumbled onto an AWESOME deal that screamed “take-me-to-the-beach.” Happy Hour Coca-Colas! Did you know that it’s BOGO Happy Hour Coca-Colas right now at Walgreens? Every Wednesday through Friday from 4:00 to 7:00pm, Buy 1 Coca-Cola 20 oz. bottle and Get 1 Free 20 oz. bottle to share. You can load the coupon instantly on the Walgreens app or click here for more information. BONUS! May through July you get 3,000 Balance Rewards points when you buy participating Coca-Cola products when you purchase $10 of participating Coca-Cola products too. That’s double the reason to reward yourself with a perfect date night. For more information and Coca-Cola Happy Hour ideas, visit http://cbi.as/7wrt.
Finally dropping off the kids to the grandparents (we love them!), we grabbed our date kit and walked down to the ocean. Our night couldn’t be more amazing.
Hearing the waves.
Eating our snack.
Walking the beach.
Watching the sun go down.
No chasing after kids.
It was a date that was definitely worth the wait. And now, we have this beautiful candle keepsake to remind us of the amazing few hours together, and our 10 years of love.